If you want to accelerate your growth rate and create a consistent stream of new clients, you have to move beyond referral marketing and become a marketing machine.
David Canter, EVP, Practice Management and Consulting, Fidelity Institutional Wealth Services, leads an ace team that has been consulting with RIAs and researching how they can elevate their performance for years.
In today’s podcast, David and I discuss what the RIA Marketing Leaders are doing to grow their business 40% faster than non-marketing leaders. You'll learn...
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Be sure to listen to the full show and absorb the wisdom.
To continue reading the rest of this post, please register below with your email address.
- EVP, Practice Management and Consulting, Fidelity Institutional Wealth Services
- University of Wisconsin grad--Go Badgers!
- Frequent speaker at industry events
- Grateful Dead fan
- “All firms that want to have lasting businesses start with growth as a priority," said David.
- The Marketing Leaders invest, on average, 33% more dollars on marketing and business development compared to Other RIAs, according to Fidelity's latest research report.
- Far more Marketing Leaders have a written marketing plan than Other RIAs. Shockingly, of the RIAs that did not have a written marketing plan, 41% of them said they have a plan but it’s not written down. As I tell my coaching clients, if it’s not written down, it’s not a plan.
- David shared the “Rule of 15” which says identify your 15 very best clients across a number of dimensions and focus your marketing resources on replicating those types of relationships.
- “The Marketing Leaders have specifically tailored their story to the needs of their clients,” said David.
- RIA Marketing Leaders have perfected the process of proactively reaching out to clients and centers of influence to generate referrals. And it’s not just a one-way street. “If you are asking for referrals, think of ways you can also help the referring party,” said David.
- While event marketing is not new, there is a trick to making them effective. Marketing Leaders devote substantially more time and money to make their events work compared to Other RIAs. And it pays off in the form of more new clients.
- "This is a referral based business and it's a marketing driven business and you’re going to start to see more and more the use of digital media to help connect with clients and prospects," said David.
- "Marketing Leaders are heavier users of social media, advertising and public relations compared to Other RIAs," said David. How do you rate in these three areas?
- Be Greater (a must-read free book)
- Establishing a Growth Engine Through Marketing and Business Development (outstanding white paper)
- Fidelity Institutional Wealth Services (website)
- Values Clarification Toolkit Click here to download this FREE tool and start living your values.
Steve Wershing on ways to stand out in an increasingly crowded marketplace and attract a niche of clients you can offer the most value to...
Julie Littlechild discusses how to create an engaging client experience that becomes a magnet for new ideal clients...
7 Keys to Delivering a Great Client or Prospecting Event Recently, I participated in the Keen Wealth Advisors (KWA) Annual Holiday Breakfast event in ...
Study after study says, on average, the biggest source of new clients for financial advisors is referrals. Yet, most advisors complain that they don’t...