In this series of podcasts, I’m going to talk to financial professionals about their lives outside of the office: the passions, hobbies, experiences, challenges, and accomplishments that have influenced who they are and how they think about success and fulfillment.
The first episode with Ben Jones explores his trip down The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route, a 2,808 mile adventure from Banff in Alberta, Canada all the way to Antelope Wells, NM at the Mexican border. It’s a grueling trip that required thorough planning, perseverance, and a belief that dreams are worth pursuing.
Guest: Ben Jones, former Managing Director and Head of Intermediary for BMO Global Asset Management.
Ben and I discuss:
- How Ben refocused his competitive drive after a knee injury cut short his promising skiing career.
- Making the most out of a sabbatical adventure.
- Ben’s annual process for reflecting on the year behind him and planning for a successful year ahead.
- The Balance Wheel exercise that Ben and his wife use to align their work-life balance and goals.
- The importance of contingency planning in effective goal-setting.
- How Ben has learned to manage his mind and body as he’s aged.
- The differences between satisfaction and enjoyment that Ben experienced at the end of his ride.
- The lessons that will influence the next stage of Ben’s career and his life as a father and husband.