In a Nutshell: The intersection of technology and finance via AI, DeFi, and blockchains is going to have a profound impact on how all businesses operate. But how you deploy those tools to empower the humans using them is going to have an even bigger impact than the tools themselves. Human advisors who understand human nature and are backed by strategically implemented technology will rule the industry.
Guest: Mark Casady, Vestigo Ventures Founder & General Partner and Lefteris Acquisition Corp Chairman. Mark retired as LPL Financial CEO in early January 2017 and as non-executive chairman of the board in early March 2017.
My Key Takeaways:
- Never rest on your laurels. Mark could have sailed comfortably into retirement. Instead he’s bringing the same passion for learning and innovation he demonstrated at LPL to his new career as a venture capitalist.
- Get the basics right. Sure, technology is fun to play with and we need to stay up to date with it, but if you don’t get the basics right of delivering great client service coupled with understanding who your clients are as human beings, then no amount of technology will save you.
- Make it simple. The best tech implementations help your team do a more efficient job of simplifying life for your clients.
- What Mark believes financial service pros get wrong about the psychology of high-net-worth investors.
- How Mark approached succession planning to ensure LPL would be set up for long-term success after he retired.
- The number one thing Mark and his team are looking for in a company when they’re considering an early stage investment.
Complementary blog post: Shortly after his retirement from LPL, Mark shared some lessons from the C-suite with me and discussed his transition into “Life 2.0” as an investor and entrepreneur. Listen/read here.
Resources Featured In This Episode